When we want to bring style, color, and a pop of personality into our homes we typically add large and small rugs to our homes. It is important to keep up with and maintain rug care to prevent allergic reactions within our home, to prevent odor retention by the rugs, and to elongate the lifespan of all of our rugs!
Here are basic rug cleaning tips that we should all follow:
Basic Rug Cleaning
- Vacuuming: this should be done regularly to remove dirt and debris from your home. Be sure to always have a vacuum carpet attachment to avoid damaging the rug's fibers. Being consistent with your vacuuming will ensure that you maintain and hygienic environment.
- Remove Pet Hairs: this can be done by specialized vacuums or running a stiff brush over the rug. A large quantity of pet hair can create an allergic response from guests and family members. Hair can also make the rug less plump and much matted down.
- You will want to ensure sanitation is taken into account. Professionals bring with them cleaners and products that are safe for you and your family but will kill bacteria and molds living in your carpet. That is not a feature that you will find with a retail DIY project guide.
- Rotate Your Rugs: when possible, be sure to move your rugs so all areas of it are exposed to usage and foot-traffic. Don’t let one side of your rug bear more of the burden for too long and even out the rug by moving it around.
- Deep Cleaning: this can be done by hiring a professional company that will affordably complete spot cleans or by putting smaller rugs in the washing machine. Always double check on the manufacturers' recommendations before cleaning your rugs.
- Removing Stains: whenever a spill occurs, remember, do not rub, blot. A cleaning solution can be used once the area has been dried. Cleaning products, whether homemade or store-bought, should always be non-toxic and safe for rugs. Avoid using bleach and things of that nature on your rugs that could cause discoloration and damage.
These are simple tips on how to keep your rugs clean and usable year-round. For serious spills,
stains, and dirt it is important to consult with a professional company or the manufacturer.